SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and SMO (Social Media Optimization) have become the most potent marketing tools to promote a website on the Internet. Most online marketers are making extensive use of these techniques to offer businesses a competitive edge over their rivals. Both these techniques complement each other and with the former attracting targeted traffic and the later adding to traffic as well as the brand value of the website. From small startups to large multi-national brands all are trying to use these marketing techniques to boost the viewership of their websites and reach out to targeted audience. Let us take a look at both these techniques which have garnered enormous interest in the recent years.
Search Engine Optimization
Before we start discussing this technique let us consider a fundamental question, why do we optimize a website? In this highly competitive online business world you need to edge out your competition and SEO is the best way to do so. It is a process which is used to improve the online visibility of a website. In this process the website is optimized in terms of keywords, description, images used etc. which help in attracting searching engine crawlers and getting your website listed high on the Search Engine Results Pages or SERP. It involves on-page optimization or optimizing the webpages and off-page optimization or drawing leverage out of external sources such as well recognized communities and PR websites etc.
Benefits of Search Engine Optimization
- It improves the visibility of the website on the search engines. This makes it easy for your visitors to find you.
- You can reach out to a group of targeted audience which helps you increase the conversion rate of your website.
- Improving rankings help garner huge brand value. A customer who finds your website rank high on the search engine considers it as a direct effect of your business ratings.
- One of the basic needs of SEO is clean coding. So when you hire SEO experts the quality of your codes also improves.
Social Media Optimization
We are sailing through the social media era where websites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+ have become a part and parcel of our daily lives. Websites can benefit from these platforms by sourcing traffic to their websites from these places. This is termed as Social Media Optimization or Social Media Marketing. This process involves posting updates on the social networks, targeting niche groups and running a well-defined PPC campaign.
Benefits of Social Media Optimization
- It helps your website grow virally or in simple terms your visitors also act as your marketing agents and promote the website within their network.
- SMO services allow you to reach out to a highly targeted group based on their age, nationality and common interests.
- It is a two way traffic which allows you to deliver your message to your audience and get an instant feedback from them on your products and services allowing you to constantly improve your quality of products and services.
Now you know why there is so much craze for search engine optimization and social media optimization. To draw maximum mileage out of these techniques you need to hire the services of developers who have expertise in these techniques. Over optimization or using black hat techniques can prove detrimental to your website while under optimization won’t let you realize the true potential of your website. Thus a good optimizer has to strike a balance when it comes to search engine optimization and social media optimization using white hat technique and this job requires sound knowledge of the standards in the industry.